Juana reports ... Edited and posted by Bill
A Note from Bill: As I'm sure all of our Straydog's followers know, we immediately spay and neuter each and every rescue who comes to Straydog. As we've said many times, we believe that CONCEPTION CONTROL is the only acceptable method of slowing down the ever-exploding population of dogs and cats. But when a rescue comes to us already pregnant, we do everything we can to help the pregnant animal bring her already conceived babies into this world.
The following brief report was posted early on the morning of April 5, 2012:
FLASH! - THURSDAY, APRIL 5, 2012 - Straydog's recent rescue Belle gave birth to two pups (a boy and a girl) just a little before 7 o'clock this morning! . . . Third pup at 7:11 a.m. ... Five by 7:30 (three boys and two girls). ... Number six at 8 o'clock. ... Numbers seven, eight and nine were born between 8:00 and 10:30 a.m. Still might be more. Click on VIDEO below.
New Mother Belle takes care of her pups.
MORE PHOTOS OF BELLE AND HER PUPS TAKEN 4/5/12:
A FEW HOURS LATER:
You may click on the following to hear the audio report of this date:
April 5, 2012 (11 min,
Juana and Bill talk about what happened Thursday at Straydog.
* New Mother Belle has nine pups, and all are doing well! (See photos above.) Click here for first video of Belle with her pups.
* James used the heavy-duty kennel fencing donated by Wolfgang Shelter to build better kennels in Hospital Two.
Lee and James carry the donated fence sections into Hospital Two
Lee works on building the indoor kennels.
Another pannel is put in place.
The H2 dogs are back in their newly build kennels.
* We've found fleas on Colt, Marie and Cesar, and we're giving all the dogs Comfortis, a very expensive flea-killing medicine.
Marie and Colt are in the park with Sherri.
* James starts on the next big project, which is taking off all the winter front boards and cleaning out all the hay from the shelters and dog houses.
* Becky has some strange-looking black spots on her skin and she's going to Morton Clinic Friday morning.
Lacie checks the spots on Becky's chest.
* With hotter weather (temperatures in the high 70s) we are watering down the sandy soil in the kennels to cool off the dogs.
George waters down the kennel by the barn where Travis and Jennie live.
* Lacie and Sherri are learning (teaching themselves) to groom the dogs, brushing and trimming to make their coats cooler.
Daisy gets groomed by Lacie.
* Baby Emma visits for a while and "helps" file correspondence.
Lacie's Baby Emma "helps" her Aunt Esther file Straydog correspondence.