Juana reports ... Edited and posted by Bill
You may click on the following
Straydog Audio Report
and/or read the Transcription Summary with Photos, below,
covering events from 8 a.m. Friday (4/13/12) through 8 a.m. Saturday (4/14/12)
Morning Audio Report - April 14, 2012 (7
min, 39 sec)
Juana and Bill talk about what happened Friday at Straydog.
TRANSCRIPTION SUMMARY WITH PHOTOS:
1. JUANA: Early Friday morning another snake was found near Hannah's kennel, and our "snake expert" Lee said it was a Copperhead so we had to get rid of it, which Lee took care of.
2. Soon after the snake discovery, we noticed that Stormy was holding up her right hind leg, not putting any pressure at all on it, and my first thought was a torn ACL in her right knee. [Lots of barking in Hospital One while we're recording the Audio Report.] I made an appointment to take Storm in to Morton Clinic at 11 o'clock, and after examination including x-rays, Dr. Terry diagnosed it as a torn ACL. We don't know for sure, but she probably tore it during the overnight shift. A lot of commotion was reported in Central Section, where Storm lives, and probably she was jumping and running around hard because of the snake. Whatever the cause, we now have three dogs waiting on ACL repair surgeries, which are just under $3,000 each, so we've got to raise $9,000 just to fix these dogs.
3. Miguel and Lee finished up the spring cleaning in the remaining eight or nine kennels, while Wayne did the normal daily kennel cleaning of all the other kennels.
4. James mowed the park and other areas which is a never-ending job, and it's very important to keep the grass short in order for us to be able to see any snakes that might come onto the Straydog campus. Next James will be weed-eating the grass inside the kennels.
5. Belle and her puppies are all doing well. The infection Belle had seems all cleared up now, and although she's barking right now in the background, she's doing fine, and has already had a good breakfast, so she's not barking for food.
6. Freckles' hard bump or knot is looking worse, so we took her to the vet (along with Storm), and the doctor said it is a tumor and will have to come off, so we'll be taking Freckles back to the clinic on Monday to have it removed and sent off to the lab.
7. Joey has several bald spots on his body, so he also went to the clinic, where they did bloodwork, and Dr. Terry thinks it's his thyroid, because it's not a skin infection or mange. We won't know the results of the thyroid test for a few days. We're still waiting on Becky's thyroid test results also. It'll probably be a week before we know what's going on.
8. We moved dogs around inside to make room for the dogs with torn ACLs. Pokey and Goldie, who lost their back hall kennel to Belle and her pups, moved from H2 to H1. We moved Lady-dog to a crate in H2 and Jackson came inside to a kennel in H2. They go to Park Two together, but Lady is too rambunctious to be in the bigger kennel with her pal Jackson. I asked Dr. Terry if the dogs with torn ACLs need to be walked on leash. The doctor said that ACLs of these three dogs are completely torn and if they don't try to run in their kennels or the park, they can be loose off leash, except for Lady-dog, who just won't stop running. We left Stormy outside in her kennel to be with her brother, Thunder, unless she starts running, but so far she's been just lying down in her kennel (no doubt in a lot of pain).
9. Sable, our other pregnant recent rescue, is doing very well. Her tummy's not getting any bigger, and we wait.
10. Scottie and Lisa are really slowing down. Scottie is much worse than Lisa. He will hardly eat anything now.
11. Bobby, as we've been reporting, is not doing well either. Bill comments that he noticed how difficult it now is for Bobby to walk at all.
12. Puppy David and Puppy Wayne are now occupying Jackson and Lady-dogs outside kennel.